Newfoundland and Labrador expands transition support program for minimum wage for smaller employers, new application deadline

Today, the Honourable Bernard Davis, Minister of Environment and Climate Change and Minister Responsible for Labour, announced the expansion of the Transitional Support Program for Smaller Employers.

The new program has been expanded to provide short-term financial support to employers with 100 employees or less that employ minimum wage earners.

This support program offers $0.50 per hour for all hours worked at the minimum wage rate, from October 1, 2022 to September 30, 2023. It will provide two payments to eligible employers, with 80 per cent of the eligible amount paid up front, and the remaining 20 per cent paid after the covering period ends. Eligible employers are required to submit documentation to the Provincial Government for both disbursements.

The maximum payout to an employer is $1,040, per minimum wage earner.

Program details and how to apply can be found here. The deadline to apply for the program has been extended to January 9, 2023.

An application is considered complete once all required information and documentation have been submitted. For program inquiries, please call the Labour Standards Division at: 1-877-563-1063 or by email at [email protected].

The expansion of the Transitional Support Program is an addition to:

  • On May 26, 2022, Minister Davis announced the creation of the Transitional Support Program for Smaller Employers, along with three increases to the minimum wage.
  • On October 1, 2022 the minimum wage increased by 50 cents, bringing it to $13.70 per hour.

On April 1, 2023 the minimum wage will increase by 80 cents to $14.50 per hour, and on October 1, 2023 the minimum wage will increase to $15.00 per hour.

Quote

Our government understands the importance of the minimum wage rate to employees and employers in Newfoundland and Labrador. I am pleased to announce the expansion and extension of this support program for employers with 100 employees or less, to help offset some of their costs associated with the increase to the minimum wage. By expanding this program, we are extending the reach to more businesses and thousands of minimum wage earners. I encourage businesses to learn more about the program and to apply on or before January 9.”

Honourable Bernard Davis

Minister of Environment and Climate Change and Minister Responsible for Labour